Wednesday 28 January 2009

Singing Lessons

In the autumn of 2007 I did something I'd been thinking about for some time, and found myself a singing teacher. Having ended 2007 with the promise of continuing, life overtook me, and it's taken a new year's resolution in 2009 to get back in touch with my teacher and arrange some more lessons.

Today I had my first lesson back, and tried to remember everything I'd been taught about breathing. My teacher has all sorts of unexpected methods - this evenings was playing catch whilst singing, in an attempt to loosen up my arms, which have an unhelpful tendency to stick out from my tensed-up shoulders like sticks.

I'm planning to try and have a lesson every fortnight, in the hope of improving my technique, and also working towards the RSCM Voice for Life singing awards.

No comments: